Author Topic: SWG closing  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
SWG closing
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Sony Online Entertainment is to close the doors on its long-running sci-fi MMO Star Wars Galaxies on December 15.

This decision comes as the current contract held between SOE and LucasArts runs out in 2012.

The upcoming launch of both Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures and the highly-anticipated Star Wars: The Old Republic are likely to have been factors in this decision.

MMO webstie Massively grilled Sony Online Entertainment's president, John Smedley on the closing of Star Wars Galaxies who confirmed it had nothing to do with the recent hackings and layoffs of SOE staff.

Smedley did mention that SOE has information coming very soon about special activities and events scheduled to see fans off the Star Wars: Galaxies universe.

"I want to say thank you to our fans, first and foremost. I understand the ones who couldn't stay with us, but thank you to the ones who did and to anybody who's ever played Star Wars Galaxies, said Smedley. "We appreciate their playing our game."
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: SWG closing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
Wow, end of an era, all be it a rocky one.

RIP my first MMO, the one that started the addiction!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »
Was kinda my first, is sadish to see it go after all this time - and without a F2P option (sony must be slipping).

Here's hoping we get info on Planetside 2 at the fan Faire next week, otherwise my real first will probably be next.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline lonadan

• Friends
  • Lurkers
  • BABYLON 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
R.I.P it will be a sad year
Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
R.I.P it will be a sad year

i dont feel sad about it, it died after the NGE in my eyes
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline lonadan

• Friends
  • Lurkers
  • BABYLON 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
it was the ppl that maded the game for me and all my friends that played it when i was
Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
it was the ppl that maded the game for me and all my friends that played it when i was

huh????

Offline lonadan

• Friends
  • Lurkers
  • BABYLON 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
it was sad when it went from 32 chars to they chanced it 3 times but it was still fun with all the ppl i knew and all the decor i was making and designing for ppl

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »

huh????

Basically everyone he knew played it before it went shit, and that is what made it fun for him.

/translate off
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."