Author Topic: New WoW Expansion...for anyone who cares...  (Read 18134 times)

Offline Dlarah

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: New WoW Expansion...for anyone who cares...
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Someone mentioned wow Q3 figures showing 1,7 million subs dropped over the last 12 months, so i guess a couple of sheeps might have left too.
Less competition for mobs on next expansion launch!  :D

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »
Activision Blizzard Inc. reported third-quarter results Tuesday afternoon that beat Wall Street’s expectations, despite a light release schedule ahead of Tuesday’s launch of the expected blockbuster “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.”

However, the videogame publisher saw its shares fall more than 3% in after-hours trading, after closing at a new three-year high of $13.93 during the regular session. During a conference call with analysts, company officers said subscribers to its popular online game “World of Warcraft” fell more than 7% from the June period to 10.3 million by the end of the third quarter.

The game is a major contributor to Activision’s bottom line, with a large base of recurring revenue from monthly subscriptions. It is also believed to be the most vulnerable to competition from “Star Wars: The Old Republic,” an online, PC-based multi-player game set for release in December by Electronic Arts

Mike Morhaime, head of the company’s Blizzard division, said on the call that the majority of lost subscribers were “from the east,” likely referring to the company’s large base in China.

“China still represents more than half of our global player base and historically December has been a very good month for subscriber trends,” Morhaime said. “We have a number of initiatives planned. We plan to be very aggressive in terms of our marketing promotions and we’re looking forward to the end of the year.”

The videogame publisher also raised its forecast for the year, citing the strong launch of “Modern Warfare 3” as well as better-than-expected sales of a new property called “Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventures,” a toy-based game that went on sale last month.

No sales data were given on “Modern Warfare 3,” which also hit stores Tuesday. Analysts widely expect the game to be the industry’s best-selling title of the year — as was its two predecessors.

For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, Activision reported net income of $148 million, or 13 cents a share, compared with net income of $51 million or 4 cents a share for the same period last year. On a non-GAAP basis, net income for the recent quarter was 7 cents a share.

Revenue was $754 million. Accounting for deferred revenue from the sale of certain online-enabled game titles, net revenue for the third quarter would have been $627 million, down from $857 million last year.

Analysts had been expecting non-GAAP earnings of 2 cents per share on net revenue of $558.4 million, according to consensus estimates from Thomson Reuters.

Activision did not have any major game releases during the quarter. Results were driven primarily through the company’s digital side, which includes downloadable expansion packs for its “Call of Duty” franchise as well as its Blizzard unit, which owns popular, subscription-based online games such as “World of Warcraft” and “Starcraft.”

For the fourth quarter, which will include results from the retail launches of “Modern Warfare 3” and “Skylanders” and other games, Activision said it expects net revenue of $2.17 billion with earnings of 55 cents a share, on a non-GAAP basis.

Analysts had been expecting revenue of $2.1 billion with earnings of 53 cents a share for the period.

For the full fiscal year, Activision said it now expects net revenue of $4.25 billion, compared with its prior forecast of $4.18 billion. Non-GAAP earnings are now expected to come in around 85 cents a share compared with the previous forecast of 68 cents a share.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-beats-targets-ahead-of-mw3-launch-2011-11-08
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »
800k sub losses....mostly from China. I'd say there's no 2 ways about it. the gold sellers have packed up and are preparing for SWTOR

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
800k sub losses....mostly from China. I'd say there's no 2 ways about it. the gold sellers have packed up and are preparing for SWTOR

and thats why pandas and pokemon are all in for next expansion, to keep the chinese/Korean subscribers interested. Honestly think theyve given up on EU/US
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »

If western economy keeps on its course, in 10 years we'll be selling gold to chinese MMoers ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
“China still represents more than half of our global player base and historically December has been a very good month for subscriber trends,” Morhaime said. “We have a number of initiatives planned. We plan to be very aggressive in terms of our marketing promotions and we’re looking forward to the end of the year.”

Now I understand why frickin' pandas.

Both WoW guilds I'm in have had steady attrition of late. Not people jumping ship to other guilds, just getting bored of WoW and doing something else. I might keep my sub going through Christmas, but I have to admit I'm rather done with it, at least for now.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
Dutch news article said the wow player base dropped by 800k.

[edit]
Doh... didn't see page 3 of the thread. -.-
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
Dutch news article said the wow player base dropped by 800k.

[edit]
Doh... didn't see page 3 of the thread. -.-

you didnt see the page your post is on?

My knowledge of quantum mechanics is shaky but that, my boy, is some awesome time travel :P
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »
My knowledge of quantum mechanics is shaky but that, my boy, is some awesome time travel :P

"We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here," said the bartender. A neutrino walks into a bar.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »

"We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here," said the bartender. A neutrino walks into a bar.

i did a woah wait a minute then gots it ;)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
I clickety clicked on the thread. It showed me page 2. It had a reply button at the bottom. And here we are.

That neutrino joke is funny as fuck.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
i don't get it  ???

laters elv