Author Topic: Problem logging on to Snowbourne  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Problem logging on to Snowbourne
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
Hey guys,

I started a LOTRO trial but now I have this weird problem:
I downloaded the client and after a lot of grief managed to get it working and connect to the Snowbourne server. Unfortunately, it froze a few minutes later and booted me off the server again. When I reconnected after a few tries, it froze and booted me again after only a few minutes. Now whenever I try reconnecting it'll tell me it's "searching for the logon server", counts up to 20 tries, then gives me a black screen with "Connection failed: Client timed out the connection."
Oddly enough it will (usually) allow me to connect to different servers. I'm assuming there's only one login server for all servers?
Does one of you know if this is a known issue and how to solve it? I searched the official forums a bit on it already, but all it came up with is making sure my firewall is set up correctly (check) and something about making sure IE is connected to the internet (check, I think. I have IE installed and unblocked by the firewall, though I don't use it as my browser.)

Additional problems:
- Sometimes the turbine client/patcher will have a long pause at "getting datacenters" then goes to retrying in 1:00.
- The persistent disconnecting ingame that lead up to this problem.

So far the LOTRO client looks like a bloated piece of crap, that took about 12 hours to install and has come up with a more serious problem within the first day than either wow, war or eve in over 3 years.
Is this "normal behaviour" of the game?

Thanks for your time,
Rico
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Problem logging on to Snowbourne
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Not normal for it at all, Snowbourn is the daddy of the servers and normally behaves itself - sounds like a very messed up issue for you (especialy since first impressions are a major point in "selling" an MMO).

Is there a possibility you have a conflicting driver issue somewhere? I read yesterday that Creative XFI (I think this is the spelling) can cause crashes and has done since MoM's release etc
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
And if you dont know to already do this - read (we cant post there - Turbines forums are for US subscribers only, CM dont give us that :S) the US support forums too:

http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
Lotro is usually very stable with little to no issues (just dont use DX10 ;)  )  (although thats a Nvidia issue which they have new drivers out i just learned)

They have daily downtime between 6 -7 am only real outages are that, except patch days when its usually 6 -13.

i can only list the usual things to check as ive not encountered this myself i.e. defrag, Ccleaner etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:47:42 PM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
Any specific error codes?

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
Nop, just freezes and disconnects. Though I've been running it in DX10 so I'll see if I can turn that off.
Edit: Just disconnected again and I'm now stuck at the login screen with a pulsing ring but no progress on the bar. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:19:04 PM by Gunnarr »
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
So it loads the char on snowbourn, then drops?

If so try a different class (and the DX10 thing) and see.

This is from a guy us-side having an issue with one char on one server over that way:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=240137

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Problem logging on to Snowbourn
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
Not right away, not all the time. The problem has a few variations, which doesn't make it any clearer.
1) I can get to the character select screen, and log into the toon I want. After playing a while it'll freeze (I can spin the character but not jump or move) and disconnect.
After this happens:
2) I can't log into that server. It'll have a green check before it in the launcher, but when trying to connect to that server it'll give me "Trying to connect to login server" x20, then give up: Black screen, with quit as only option.
3) I can log onto that server and it'll bring me to the character select screen. When choosing my toon, it'll give me the loading screen with a pulsing one ring, but no progress on the bar.

I just tried rolling a character on Gilrain, and I actually managed to get to level 4 before dropping again. After dropping, I couldn't connect to Gilrain, but I could connect back to Snowbourn.
Edit: atm both Gil and Snow give me the searching for login server x20 thingie. Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:26:03 PM by Gunnarr »
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
The lack of errors messages beyond Connecting to server over and over is worrying, as the client - especially the launcher - really likes its error messages...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Problem logging on to Snowbourn
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
Not right away, not all the time. The problem has a few variations, which doesn't make it any clearer.
1) I can get to the character select screen, and log into the toon I want. After playing a while it'll freeze (I can spin the character but not jump or move) and disconnect.
After this happens:
2) I can't log into that server. It'll have a green check before it in the launcher, but when trying to connect to that server it'll give me "Trying to connect to login server" x20, then give up: Black screen, with quit as only option.
3) I can log onto that server and it'll bring me to the character select screen. When choosing my toon, it'll give me the loading screen with a pulsing one ring, but no progress on the bar.

I just tried rolling a character on Gilrain, and I actually managed to get to level 4 before dropping again. After dropping, I couldn't connect to Gilrain, but I could connect back to Snowbourn.
Edit: atm both Gil and Snow give me the searching for login server x20 thingie. Sigh.

The conenction/black screen thing sounds familiar - but for the life of me cant recall who has had that issue in the past (me, my brother or a guy from the old wow guild who played lotro for a while) or what I did to help them solve it... I'll keep trying, as the game is worth the time, more so as I'd hate these issues to color your view of it...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
System specs please by the way - driver details if you have them too :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
Last post on first page in this thread:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319369

tried that?

Or - if you can log into an alt for a while - even to just ingame ticket a gm - ask them to "purge" your erroring char as per Liquilla's post in this thread:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321117&page=5&pp=10

Another stupid question - I know you have added lotro to the firewall, but what about the launcher? and have you added them to your routers firewall - assuming you use a router (wireless or otherwise)?

And another - what version of the .net framework do you have installed? (The game has a thing for 1.1, even if you have 3.0 installed via vista etc...)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:22:35 PM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »
Which ISP do you use?

i ask as i remember my mate had an issue like this a while back, it was the packet shaping of his provider that caused the issues
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
Can you copy and paste the contents of your client log (found in my docs lotro folder).

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
I'm having some trouble updating my nvidia drivers to the latest version o_O - some kind of error.
So, I just turned DX10 off for now. I'm still downloading the latest creative drivers, as I do happen to have a X-FI extreme music in this machine.

The solutions in these threads seem to be for avoiding being locked out. While that's a start, I'd appreciate not having the ingame freeze at all, and I'd prefer finding a solution for that.

I use Telfort (old Tiscali) ISP (Netherlands), which afaik, doesn't use packet shaping. Though ISPs are usually not really keen on admitting they do this.

I attached my DxDiag for system info.
Short version:

Motherboard: Asus P5Q pro
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E8500#3.16Ghz (dualcore)
Memory: 4GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 260 @ 1680x1050. Driver version 7.15.0011.8048, updated 12-11-08.
Can't upgrade to latest version atm :( Not sure why.
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Music. Currently downloading latest drivers.
Quoted for brilliance.