Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 34636 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
I'm in!

Downloading now.

no idea when next beta session is with it being thanksgiving in the States, but id say avoid the boards, they are full of people who think they are playing a finished game it makes me wanna cry.

beta boards filled with more tears than open board? shocker :D 

you have no idea the nerd rage going on, everyone has a degree in Star Trek lore it seems ;)

it doesnt help that ground based combat is dull as hell, whilst the space stuff is fun but not very challenging :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
Odd that ground combat is dull, I remember having played a good star trek shooter a few years back.
On the other hand, if they went turn-based with (mostly) just phasers, that sounds dull as hell :)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
Odd that ground combat is dull, I remember having played a good star trek shooter a few years back.
On the other hand, if they went turn-based with (mostly) just phasers, that sounds dull as hell :)

its not turn based, its 3rd person, but no way to use cover, stupid AI on away team members and no tactics to use.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Yea, but is it FPS-shooter like (or 3rd person shooter as it may be) or do attacks go in "turns", like in wow/war? (depending on attack speeds of weapons etc)
The latter seems less suitable for mostly ranged combat to me.
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »

its not turn based, its 3rd person, but no way to use cover, stupid AI on away team members and no tactics to use.

Kinda like tabula Rasa did?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »
Agggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Craig Zinkievich: Star Trek Online will be in one big universe where everyone is on the same shard. We’ll have limits to how many players can be at the same location before it instances off into a copy, but you’ll be able to quickly find your friends no matter where they are.

WHY!  Single server is good, in fact its a MASSIVE selling point for me, then they do this (again)...

If a company like CCP manage a non-instanced "single server" and manage to keep  it running well enough and upgraded every so often, then a large company with no doubt some good backing like these have should be able to match it...

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
Thoughts so far:

It looks pretty.

It sounds good.

Erm, thats about it right now.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
Thoughts so far:

It looks pretty.

It sounds good.

is that because its not working tonight? seriously crashing on load screens anytime i try to enter any missions ;)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 09:28:58 PM »
So it's a pretty loading screen then? ;)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »
So it's a pretty loading screen then? ;)

if klingons are your thing i guess it is ;)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 11:21:56 PM »
Thoughts so far:

It looks pretty.

It sounds good.

is that because its not working tonight? seriously crashing on load screens anytime i try to enter any missions ;)

Got through the Tut with no major incidents.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »
patch up for tomorrows playtest and its a biggy.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
Got my closed beta email invite today. currently patching 6551mb patch  ???
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 09:14:39 AM »
So without breaking NDA - if there is one - how is space combat?  (I could care less about any none spaceship side of this game so dont care about all that).

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
There is an NDA broke it by telling you guys im in the beta ;)

Space combat is fun very similar to a Star Trek game whos name eludes me (starfleet command 3 perhaps)

Phasers have 270 arc whilst torp launchers have 90, different ships have different load outs forward and aft.

Each ship has a number of Bridge Officer positions that allow you to use the officers training in combat , things like Torpedo barrage, or quick shield recharge, tachyon beam etc.

Power can be toggled on the fly between shields, engines, weapons and auxiliary systems, there are presets for attack/defend/speed etc with you also able to save your own power configs.

other ship "equipment" is things like better engines, shields, weapons (ofc) , these available as drops or from mission and purchasing from a Starfleet base, now we all know Star Trek has no currency so the way they handle it is by using "Energy Credits" any time you melt down something in the replicator you gain "Energy Credits" and completing mission etc give Starfleet merits so basically 2 currency types.