Author Topic: XP gain changes at each expansion cap.  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
XP gain changes at each expansion cap.
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:02 AM »
We recently made a change to the way experience is calculated and wanted to take some time to explain this change in order to clear up some confusion some may be having in regard to their rate of progress. If you are currently at the maximum level that you can be for an expansion (or higher), killing creatures from that expansion will now grant 10% of normal experience.

Examples:

* Level 60 or higher players get 10% normal experience for killing creatures in Azeroth (“Old world” content)
* Level 70 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Burning Crusade creatures.
* Level 80 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Lich King creatures.
* Level 85 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Cataclysm creatures.

What does this mean for those that have Cataclysm and are leveling up new characters? This means that you will gain normal experience through to level 60 and will then need to move on to The Burning Crusade zones until you reach level 70 and Wrath of the Lich King zones until you reach level 80. Once you reach 80, it is expected that you will be continuing your leveling adventures in the new Cataclysm zones and dungeons. We have made this change so that players will continue to progress through the appropriate content for their level versus grinding on quick re spawns in a less ideal location.

This change will also affect hunter pets and their leveling rate if the player is at max level, however, this is an unintended change that we will be addressing in the future.

This is only for kills not quests.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
Re: XP gain changes at each expansion cap.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
Sounds like bullshit to me.  What if I dont want to participate in the Cata cattle call? If Im paying the same amount every month, why do they care where I do my leveling?
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:51:21 PM »
Sounds like bullshit to me.  What if I dont want to participate in the Cata cattle call? If Im paying the same amount every month, why do they care where I do my leveling?

Its annoyed me slightly too as Im a completionist - I like to finish areas and then move on, not move on because xp has gone down to force me to move on. 

Personally I blame Athene for getting world first 85 and then this happening.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

Its annoyed me slightly too as Im a completionist - I like to finish areas and then move on, not move on because xp has gone down to force me to move on. 

Personally I blame Athene for getting world first 85 and then this happening.
well no need to pause your xp anymore Jon
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
surley this helps as a completionist as you will get less xp for finishing an area beneath your level, or am i missing the point?

laters elv

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »
Im not sure what the point is, either.  It sounds like they want to encourage ( force? ) people in to playing in the expansions that they created for specific levels.  It cant be for money because you already have to buy the expansion before you can advance into those levels.  It sounds as if they have a preferred way they want people to play their game.  This is contrary to the idea that the MMO is an open game which is built on a risk vs reward system. 

Under their new rules, an 80 in Northrend will give you 10% the experience of an 80 in Cata despite how comprable their difficulty might be.  I dont like it and it feels like they are trying to tell me how to play.
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
surley this helps as a completionist as you will get less xp for finishing an area beneath your level, or am i missing the point?

laters elv

Looking at what i posted I totally messed it up :)

I think I was getting at the whole forced to move on thing rather than anything else - after all its a players choice where/how they play/level etc (Im quite suprised how much levelling choice there is through the revised content). Although looking back across my OP, this wouldnt affect a quester, just a grinder.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:45:22 AM »
I don't quite honestly see the problem  ???

You get exactly same XP for questing as before. If you don't like doing quests for XP but grind instead, then who the hell would be so stupid as to grind lower level mobs?

I just don't get what you people are crying about, sorry :(

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »
You get exactly same XP for questing as before. If you don't like doing quests for XP but grind instead, then who the hell would be so stupid as to grind lower level mobs?

Didn't you see the South Park episode?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)