Author Topic: Book recommendations?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Book recommendations?
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
Gf needs a new supply of (audio)books she can listen to at work.

Kingdoms
Assassins
Elves
Magic
Fantasy

Recently read:
Game of thrones
Other George RR Martin stuff
Brent Weeks Night Angel
Eragon
Huntress
Strain trilogy

Do you have any suggestions for her?
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:52:58 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Book recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
If she likes zombie vampires (or something like that) the strain trilogy is good.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. :)
She has those books as well.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
its more horror comedy than fantasy but john dies at the end by David Wong is a very funny / scary read, its described as a cross between douglas adams and stephen king, started out as an internet blog got published and a movie is due to be released shortly.

There is also a sequel out now called this book is full of spiders...seriously dude don't touch it, which I have bought but not got round to reading yet.

laters elv

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
the title kind of ruins the ending, though.

I am Legend by Richard Matheson. Forget the film ever existed (like that's hard), it completely changed/ruined the ending, and even contradicted the very reason why the book itself is called 'I am Legend'. The book is insanely good.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks, I'm passing those suggestions on!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Any of Jim Butchers novels

Harry Dresden - Modern day wizard and his life ;) good reads

Codex Alera - more fantasy than Dresden also very very good
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
alos any MIchelle Sagara novels -good feminist fantasy series
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
Was wondering when you'd be un-drunk!  ;D
Thanks, passing them on!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
also
Ilona Andrews: Kate Daniels novels http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kate-daniels
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:19:46 PM by Caradir »