Author Topic: new x-com  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
new x-com
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/26/twenty-minutes-of-narrated-xcom/#more-71213

including playthrough of 22 minutes

Twenty Minutes Of (Narrated) XCOM

By Jim Rossignol on August 26th, 2011 at 8:23 am.

2K Games have released the full twenty minutes of the XCOM E3 2011 demo, with the developers narrating what is going on. It explains some of the background and story, shows off the underground base, the agent selection process, the mission selection, the squad combat, and elements of the problem solving involved in the “battlescape” the game sets up. This is the most detail we’ve seen of the tactical elements of the game, and it’s definitely worth watching.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in.

This comment from a larger explanation by 2K Marin’s Jordan Thomas in the YouTube description is telling: “Candidly, it just wasn’t “XCOM” enough for the hardcore fans of the original games at 2K Marin, who serve as our creative conscience. So over the past year, we’ve made some pretty aggressive design changes, in pursuit of the feelings that we experienced when we played the original games. I’ll cover those in the video itself, but a quick note about story:”
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: new x-com
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
Not sure if I like the FPS-style of it, but will deffo try it out.
However, I will be certain to reacquire the older Xcom titles. I've been made enthusiastic about them again :)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
However, I will be certain to reacquire the older Xcom titles. I've been made enthusiastic about them again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYCtkFq7Jk
former roommate.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »

workedfor fallout cant see why it wont for x-com
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
on widows mobile there used to be a remake of it.  Was quiet fun to play. Must be some rights issue that its not avaliable on android atm
former roommate.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »
former roommate.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
talking about UFO...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/29/ufo-2-extraterrestrials-due-march-2012/

UFO 2 !?

:D

UFO was a trilogy of games, aftermath , aftershock , and afterlight.

Aftermath had you dealing with the effects of social collapse just after the alien invasion, Aftershock (shit game) had you dealing with Earth after Aftermath, Afterlight had you deal with Mars which had been cut off from earth for the duration of the previous 2 titles.

good games (except aftershock) really close to X-com playstyle. I like the way the story progresses through the 3 until you get closer to the truth behind the invasion.

and there i go talking shit about another game that is pretty similar but not what your talking about

UFO: Extraterrestrials i have no experience of.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:28:04 AM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »
talking about UFO...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/29/ufo-2-extraterrestrials-due-march-2012/

UFO 2 !?

:D

UFO was a trilogy of games, aftermath , aftershock , and afterlight.

Aftermath had you dealing with the effects of social collapse just after the alien invasion, Aftershock (shit game) had you dealing with Earth after Aftermath, Afterlight had you deal with Mars which had been cut off from earth for the duration of the previous 2 titles.

good games (except aftershock) really close to X-com playstyle. I like the way the story progresses through the 3 until you get closer to the truth behind the invasion.

and there i go talking shit about another game that is pretty similar but not what your talking about

UFO: Extraterrestrials i have no experience of.
I know, played most of them, but it seemed this was the followup to the 1st one, UFO - Enemy Unknown, that was later renamed to X-COM: UFO Defense

i did like the 1st and 3rd of the games you name, never finished any of them, there were bug riddled (atleast the versions i had) the 2nd had this impossible maintenance system that was really shit
former roommate.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »