Author Topic: Impressions From Weekend Beta  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Impressions From Weekend Beta
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
Just read an interesting thread on reddit/r/SWTOR:

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/mbel4/so_as_the_beta_weekend_is_coming_to_a_close_lets/

Not a great deal in there as far as spoilers go, but some very positive impressions of the game so far. Worth a read.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Impressions From Weekend Beta
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:27 PM »
Oh, and something from that thread for Chug and anyone else planning on rolling Sith:

Something I noticed that I suppose is worth pointing out - When I was playing Empire side, the general chat was horrific. To give it a comparison, I can only say "Barrens chat". The tone was very much about SWTOR either being a WoW killer, or SWTOR being a complete sack of shite compared to WoW. There was a solid 4 hours that, wherever I went, people solely spoke about other MMO's, and not in what I would call civilized fashion. In the wooded area outside Dromund Kass, some rich kid was telling everybody how the Alienware laptop his father bought him one year ago could out preform any desktop rig built today, and basically started a shitstorm. However, I rolled a smuggler for about an hour or so, and the Republic general chat was in a completely different class. Players were friendly, helpful, and all around nice guys. Hopefully there won't be one faction laden down with idiot's come launch.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
Oh, and something from that thread for Chug and anyone else planning on rolling Sith:

Something I noticed that I suppose is worth pointing out - When I was playing Empire side, the general chat was horrific. To give it a comparison, I can only say "Barrens chat". The tone was very much about SWTOR either being a WoW killer, or SWTOR being a complete sack of shite compared to WoW. There was a solid 4 hours that, wherever I went, people solely spoke about other MMO's, and not in what I would call civilized fashion. In the wooded area outside Dromund Kass, some rich kid was telling everybody how the Alienware laptop his father bought him one year ago could out preform any desktop rig built today, and basically started a shitstorm. However, I rolled a smuggler for about an hour or so, and the Republic general chat was in a completely different class. Players were friendly, helpful, and all around nice guys. Hopefully there won't be one faction laden down with idiot's come launch.

no surprises there, kiddies always want to be bad ass
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
When Barrens Chat grew up, it became City Trade on RP servers.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
To be honest, Dan, I think you'll get that on either side. 15k players on each side per server (i think that'll be about right), you're gonna get a number of complete asshats in the same vein judged purely by the laws of probability. And not just kids either. Half of em will be 30+  ;)

I've never used general chat in games anyway so usually just ignore it. If anything, it's a decent tool to judge what...erm...tools never to group with.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
To be honest, Dan, I think you'll get that on either side. 15k players on each side per server (i think that'll be about right), you're gonna get a number of complete asshats in the same vein judged purely by the laws of probability. And not just kids either. Half of em will be 30+  ;)

I've never used general chat in games anyway so usually just ignore it. If anything, it's a decent tool to judge what...erm...tools never to group with.

You're probably right our kid, but I cannot shake the feeling that the herp derps will all be rolling Sith, because of all that repressed anger they've got going on.

We'll see.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

You're probably right our kid, but I cannot shake the feeling that the herp derps will all be rolling Sith, because of all that repressed anger they've got going on.

We'll see.

Chug's right, the retards will be everywhere while they wait for dancing pandas with pokemon to be released. Then they'll go quiet.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."