The Lounge > General Gaming

What other MMO's have you played?

(1/8) > >>

Axenar:
It came up last night in our Sewers group and lead me to wondering, what other MMO's have folks played?

I myself have been on the following:

Star Wars Galaxies longest runner to date, over 2 years largely due to all my real life mates playing so we would all go one skype and laugh and chat while we played. In the end we all packed it in after they changed the entire game yet again. Having spent months working the path to Jedi they suddenly made it so anyone could play Jedi from level 1 and in disgust we all cancelled.

Eve, I got talked into this but never really saw the point. Nice enough game but seemed over the top you had to pay to play it. Especially as a lot of it could be done without even being at the machine. Maybe lasted 3 months here.

World of Warcraft, likely at the moment my second longest run on a MMO. Did a longish spell then quit for about a year, then re-subbed when the first expansion came out, lasted perhaps 6 months before I got annoyed with it again and quit for the second time. Stands as the only game I've quit twice.

Lord of the Rings Online, liked this one but got a bit bored of the same monsters and lack of the real epic feel lasted about 4 months. Was tempted to go back if Warhammer hadn't come out.

Pirates of the Burning Sea, oh what a mistake that was, pretty much did my 30 days. Enjoyed the game when it would work but chronic Lag during boarding actions put me off in the end as it was unplayable. Considering this was instanced solo fights with no other players too and yet WAR I can be at a keep with loads of folks on screen and still play. Nice concepts in the game though but in the end the poor coding put me off.

Outwith paid for I have been in a few Beta's too. Nice cos I'd get passed the novelty stage of the game to see if I liked it and in the end would find I wasn't that hooked so saved me wanting them.

Auto Assault, just didn't work for me.
City of Heroes, fun to start with but got repetitive
Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean, to be fair never actually planned to get this just got a chance to play in the beta so thought it would be fun (it wasn't).

Lastly and before all of the above I played on a rather unique NeverWinter Nights server. It was a persistent set of servers one run by a bank of machines in a guys garage in America, the world evolved and they even built a mod for crafting, long before I had even heard of MMO's (thought they were around). Designed for folks to roleplay but had some brilliant stories develop run by live guys acting as GM's and an ongoing war between 2 factions. They also added content on a hugely regular basis and had more species as playable than any MMO I've seen. Not bad for guys purely funded by non compulsory player donations.

Anyway that's the lot.

Goatboy:
NWN, WoW and Eve.

NWN was nice... but meh...

WoW got boring and guild changed direction when I was out of game due to housing and connection issues.

Eve was just too damn static. I hated the fact that you couldn't actually fly your vessel with AWSD... couldn't live with just point and click space travel.

Torgal:
Good read. I also like to see people's background, or 'gaming credentials' lol.

Sorry for the image spam that's coming up. I have a lot of really great memories of FFXI. So hmm let's see I've played.

- Ultima Online on several different shards. Mostly I played this while I was at uni, for maybe a 9 months - a year.

- Final Fantasy XI. Baptism of fire into the brave new world of online RPGs. Played for ~2 years on Fairy server. Level 75 MNK (and a smattering of other jobs). Notable acheivments: Camping Mee Deggi and getting my O.Kote at 41 at the height of the gilsellers reign. Farming Batallia Downs and Qufim Island until I was blue in the face for my 11 mil Cross Counters. Man was I ever pimp, I died a LOT. Tanks hated me, and healers even more and then when I hit 75 they expected me to put on a dress and start chi blasting stuff, and dutifully I did.

Here's the only picture of me in somewhat high level gear showing off my Shura Zunari Kabuto (the silly hat). I'm not sure if I ever did get the Shura Haidate that I so craved.

CHI BLAAAASTTTU RECORD!

The classic FF GFs were amazing in FFXI. I'm not soloing Ifrit here, I've got help (really!)

Here's my awesome LS killing Jormungand

Here's a messy one of my LS killing Vrtra (server first!) my most proud accomplishment of any game to date. Eldrien in the foreground is my wife. I'm in the mess somewhere smacking a skeleton (Leldoran).

Happy days

- World of Warcraft. I played WoW and quit no less than... 3 times in the what was it, 3, 3.5 years since US open beta? I don't know. I've played rogue to 50ish, 3 priests (40, 50, 70), 2 warriors (40, 70), hunter to 70. This game was a f*cking drug. I'm certain I'll go back when WOTLK is out. My toon profiles are in my sig. I played mostly for PvP - best arena rating I managed was 1805 I think in S2, quit sometime during S3, being messed up by rogues with dual warglaives was no fun, not that it's the reason I quit.

- LOTRO. Curious ass game. Played very casually - Guardian and Champion to 35, Captain to 30.

- Eve. Played for a week or two. Not for me, but amazing concept. It's the kind of game I used to dream of back when I was a kid playing Frontier : Elite II.

- City of Heroes. Played an Emp Defender to... I'm not sure, about 2/3 to cap. Kind of fun, I like the way grouping is implemented in this game, because it's the only game IMO that has actually managed to make groups easy to make and find the whole way throughout the game. I'd say even WAR with it's much vaunted PQs has failed in that respect.

- AoC. Played a HoX to 50 or so, and a ToS to idk 40 or so, before I realised that there was no point. Nice game actually, a lot better than most people give it credit for. I actually prefer the PVE mechanics to WAR, but they just screwed up on the content front. Also waaaaay to few titties on show consider what it was marketed to be :D

Keggi:
guild wars for 2 hours

aoc for 3 weeks or so lvl 42 assasin

warcraft for 3 years

lotro lifetime sub so can always go back

Mangala:
Good thread, always good to see where people have been in the past regarding such community based games. Without further ado here are my previous;

Planetside: My first MMO. Started playing back in 2004, and I was totally blown away by it. Vast battles with futuristic tanks, aircraft and suited soldiers. Was a pure joy to log in, drop pod into a fight, or jump from a transport with the Outfit of which I was a member (I was on the Werner server, New Conglomerate side) and drop onto the roof of a base or a tower and take it over. Some of fights I had were very very intense, back and forths between various bases across the continents for entire afternoons and evenings at a time. Shame its an SOE game and well we all know what SOE do with the real shiners in their care...

Star Wars Galaxies: Did not play this much, but when I did, it was for the crafting - the system was really good and amazingly wide open. Couldnt buy into it too much, as I found the player cities cropping up at landmark places to be really annoying and at the time life was also in my way!

City Of Heroes: Fun for a couple of months, but really grindy.

World of Warcraft: As with most people here, this became my sole MMO for a couple of years. Played a dwarf warrior (how original!), and generally had a good time. There's a whole history with me and that game, but suffice to say I had fun, the pve content was great, the pvp lacklustre and inane (no point to it, no reason to do it really) and I came across some good people. Eventually turned myself off the game and thats that.

Lord of the Rings Online: Was in Closed Beta, and eventually moved into Live with it too. Great game set in a great world. Loving the high fantasy side of the genre as I do, this game really shines for me. I just went through a phase of being tired of leveling games and this suffered as a consequence. Still pick it up from time to time (Lifetime subscriber) and play about with my characters in it.

Tabula Rasa: Bad. Seriously bad. Such a good idea too, yet executed horribly.

EVE Online: My on-off-on again relationship with this game has lasted since 2004. Its a good game to load up and go make someone cry in. Be it stealing their stuff or "pvping" via the market and undercutting their profits. My playstyle has evolved from total carebear to border lands inhabitant who likes to fly bait battleships and let me alt accounts warp in and kill the foolish. Currently I am logging my accounts to skill train, until I have the time to go back and enjoy it some more.

So there we have it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version