Author Topic: Ma'adim: Direction?  (Read 22958 times)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
Re: Ma'adim: Direction?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Where are all your 0.0 contacts Rubi?
Goonspace isn't really a possibility - but the north (TCF/RAZOR/MM) seems stable and good ...

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
I've been chatting with them but nothing decent out of the woodwork yet.  Most of the good guys went to Triumvirate and Molotov - both of which are a closed shop to new corps.  Some turned into Merc corps - not something for us at the mo - but watch out for those battle haulers!

Razor may have improved but they were naff.
TCF are mostly french speaking - and we're not :)

There are a few smaller ones Saf pointed out - but so far they're too small.

Ideally the alliance should have constellation sov.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:58:39 AM by Rubino »

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »
UFA is still an option if thats what people want, as well I wont have to actually deal with Eddz in Alliance channel will I? Theres just something about him that winds me up.

The North is probably a better option if we want to get out there properly into calm space (norths a giant napfest) that has little chance of a rapetrain heading its way - BoB tried that already - and give 0.0 life a go. Although lots of established and organised cap builders up that way already.

Providence is most likely going to become a no-no (and its shit anyway) as I'll no doubt cause incidents there when SHC's ganknight rolls that way on Saturday.  Avoided any such thing at the AU class, but I dont think I'll manage it this weekend :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:33:24 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:09 AM »
So where is everyone's head on this, it's been about 3 weeks since we had the vote, so we're half way through the 4-6 week process ... everyone still up for this?

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »
yes im still up for this, im just not so valuable concerning contacts in alliances. the one i have seems to be a nono
so to be honest i am looking at the more experienced ppl for some decisions here. prolly not the prettiest thing of me to do, but here i am...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
btw, im a bit confused, we're looking for an alliance that aint too big, cause we will be fodder, but not too small either? what size are we looking for then?

what is constellation sov?
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
The CCP KB article is: http://support.eve-online.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=343

Which to paraphrase:

Constellation Sovereignty

In order to acquire constellation sovereignty, the following is required:

* At least three outposts or conquerable stations within the constellation.
    * At least one system with sovereignty level three, with the two following added requirements:
          o An outpost or conquerable station located in the system.
          o This outpost/conquerable station set to be the capital under the station management tab.
    * Sovereignty held in at least 51% of the systems in that constellation.
    * All of these conditions need to be met for 14 days.

Once all of these conditions have been met, constellation sovereignty will be enabled for that constellation after the following downtime.

Benefits

There are several benefits to constellation sovereignty:

* A further fuel usage reduction, 30% instead of the usual 25% for all alliance owned control towers in the same constellation.
    * All outposts within the constellation can receive further upgrades. For more information, refer to the outpost upgrades article.
    * Any systems within the constellation with no sovereignty claim can be claimed after only a single day by the alliance holding constellation sovereignty.
    * The system set to be the capital of the constellation can, when the other requirements are met, become the Constellation Capital.

Constellation Sovereignty Warfare

If one of the following requirements are met, constellation sovereignty will change to a contested mode:

* The alliance holding constellation sovereignty loses sovereignty control of the majority of the systems in the constellation.
    * The alliance holding constellation sovereignty loses control of the minimum of three outposts or conquerable stations in the constellation.
    * The alliance holding constellation sovereignty loses control of the capital outpost or conquerable station.

When constellation sovereignty has been contested for a period of seven consecutive downtimes, constellation sovereignty will be broken and the attacking alliance can take over the former constellation capital.

While it's not required - it would be ideal in many ways:  It means running towers costs less (lower fuel needs for the towers) and allows some handy POS modules for defence and transport. 

If the allaince is too big then there are likely to be high competion for the 0.0 resources (ratting mostly) and higher alliance costs (the corp will have to pay a weekly/monthly amount to be in that space).  An alliance that's too small will control less space and probably be more fragile.  Many smaller alliances will be essentially part of 0.0 factional warfare - meaning merc type corps.  Some of the smaller alliances I looked at yesterday were approx 8 corps - many of the corp had only a few players in. 

You can find information about alliances in eve here: http://www.eve-online.com/alliances/default.asp

If you look at the UFA alliance here: http://www.eve-online.com/alliances/a_849565342.asp - then you'll see why they are attractive.  Many of the corps in the alliance are around our size, they have a decent number of players for the space they they occupy in 0.0.  They are anti-priate - which is good as it means they're not making an income only by living off other players.  They're also in an expansion mode - which means the space they control is growing and there is an opportunity for directed pvp.  It also means we get a chance to prove our worth and grow with them into new areas without taking on too much.  Additionally they're not too far from us - which means we don't need a JF from day 1 and can look to getting one 4-6 weeks down the line.

Once we find an alliance and we're accepted it'll take us a week to: buy the resources needed to setup (towers, fuel, etc), move and setup POS's, move ships & eq into the area and, should they have an outpost - setup Jump Clones.

Then once in 0.0 it'll take us 4-6 weeks to get used to the space, recover the investment costs of setting up, to have built up enough local resources to start pushing our manufacturing - and to understand how 0.0 works with combat & pvp.

Combat in 0.0 has many faces and many of the skills you currently have will be valuable.  It's hard to stress how important it is but being able to tackle (small fast ship that can lock down a hostile) is much more valueable than something that just deals dmg.  Yes - you're gonna get blown up a lot - but a tackling ship is generally very cheap and we will *always* have tacklers at our POS.  Tackling is also a very good way to just learning about pvp and it's a very good foundation as you get larger ships.

Combat in 0.0 is also rarely alone.  You'll be part of an alliance with alliance intel channels.  You'll be able to particiapte in alliance gangs as soon as you're in 0.0.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:27:15 PM by Rubino »

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »
My char is nowhere near being good enough for it but I'm up for it if nothing else I can always be cannonfodder haha

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Just an additional note as many of you haven't use POS's and the current KASSI POS isn't setup this way.

Most if not all the POS's the corp will have in 0.0 will have a Corporate Hanger and a Ship Maint Array.
This allows you to store/get ships from the POS and refit them - much as you can do currently if you're near an Orca/Capital ship.

We'll be trying to ensure that there are always ships available at the POS both Frigs and Cruisers.  There will also be fittings and ammo available - so you'll be able to refit quickly.
There's some logistics needed to ensure we have enough of what's needed and coverage of how people fit - but mostly it's administration/tracking/management.

In PvP it's less about the solo and more about the group - everybody has roles they can fill - just over time you're more flexible and able to take on more of them.
Actual experience in combat is very different from the skills in evemon - there are times you should warp out and there are times you need to dig in - and as the guys learned in the Agony course recently - "hands on" really teaches you a lot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:41:51 PM by Rubino »

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »
I'm still researching other options and will update this post as I find any but how about:

Intrepid Crossing:
Summary:
  They're larger than I was thinking of - so it'll be harder to make an impact - but look organised.  They appear to have good relationships with other alliances in their zone of eve (mid-west).
  They hold a number of outposts and have Const sov in a few. 

KB Stats: http://irc.eve-kill.net/?a=alliance_detail&crp_id=442
  Eve Alliance Info: http://www.eve-online.com/alliances/a_673381830.asp
  Background: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=979593&page=1#3
  ESM Link: http://www.eve-maps.com/outpostalert/alliancechart.asp?FilterType=Alliance&FilterBy=IRC

I've also looked at:

Tread Alliance
Summary:
  They're not very good.  The Kill/Death ratio is, at best, borderline 50/50.  While they're in 0.0 - the area of space they're in is pretty hot.  I recognise a few of the names of some of the people blowing them up - and I wouldn't want to go up against them without an experienced group.

KB: http://www.treadalliance.com/killboard/?a=alliance_detail&
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:40:27 PM by Rubino »

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
Isn't it a bit risky for an alliance to not control the approaches toward empire space?? IRC seems to be rather boxed in?

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
Aye - that can be a problem - you usually have Non Aggression Pacts (NAP) or Friends - which via standings means they appear with a blue + in local and the overview.
The main problem with with logistics - it makes it harder moving in/out.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
Aye - that can be a problem - you usually have Non Aggression Pacts (NAP) or Friends - which via standings means they appear with a blue + in local and the overview.
The main problem with with logistics - it makes it harder moving in/out.

Where can you see standings between them and their neighbours??
From what I could see they have a part of the RSF (is that the right name?? goonswarm and allies you know) to the south and some more equal size alliance to the west and what looks like much larger to the east and north.
Of course potential conflict in itself isn't bad :) and to be honest I have no clue about how the relations work there. But that one looks very boxed in and unless it has very good relations with the block to the south it could potentially look hazardous if a major conflict breaks out.
The likelihood of that I have no clue.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
UFA is still an option if thats what people want, as well I wont have to actually deal with Eddz in Alliance channel will I? Theres just something about him that winds me up.

Ok, this has been one of the prime targets from the beginning. So...
- Do ppl know ppl in UFA?
- (If so,) has the subject been brought up?
- To Beo: In the above quote you say 'if thats what people want'. I still taste that UFA isnt your first choice, or is it?
- To Beo: Is the disliking of you and Eddz mutual, or just one way? In the first case us joining UFA won't be a good choice IMHO. In the second case: see former question -> responsibilities within MAADI are getting a bit more decentralized, but you will be the alpha-male in our corp for at least a long time to come. IMO if you dont like it, its not a good idea.
- If there are nĂ³ probs, I don't see why we shouldnt try to make an effort to join UFA. But I have always been one of rapid decision taking, which isnt always good.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
You can't easily see standings - you have to dig around, find their KB and see who they fly with and who they're up against.  Sometimes they have info on their alliance info page, sometimes there's info on the forums.  Usually if they hold a large chunk of space with many outposts - then they'll have good relationships with those around them.  They wouldn't hold them for long without.

The ESM link helps - as it shows how long they have had sov for with a 90 day history (I think) and shows general progression win/loss, etc.

Intrepid Crossing is a possible - but I don't think optimal - but I'm throwing it out as an option.  While I think currently that UFA would give us best bang/buck and the chance to grow - I want to ensure that we have examined other options.