Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 16757 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »
Same here with the instanced servers - its a bit like Guild Wars for me, I liked guild wars and the story is great but it doesn't feel like world.  I've been playing with an xbox controller and I think its great fun for that.  My only question now is: would a lifetime sub apply to the xbox version of the game when its released?I think this game would be perfect for kicking back on the sofa and plugging into the 40" plasma for some kickarse superhero (wii would have been better but meh).

Not sure about the subscriptions tbh. I think they've pushed the 360 version back to focus on the PC release. I have no experience on multi-platform MMO's, so couldn't tell you. I think the current thinking is seperate servers for the console players, though I'm not sure how viable that would be.

I see no reason why you couldn't use the same sub, but its way to early to tell.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »
And Gunnar, I haven't seen a Squirrel for miles :P

Surely there's a squirrel supervillain.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
My first impressions....

Not that great I am afraid.

As Elv has previously said, it starts exactly the same of COH just with shinyer graphics (something I will get on to in a moment)

As I have stopped playing WoW I was hoping that something might come along to reignite my interest in MMOs again, unfortunately CO is not that game.

Other than the character customisation which is very detailed, the game it self seems to be a very generic MMO - Run and speak to this person, collect x amount of these, kill these etc. Just another grind fest.

It does seem simplistic - something that I guess has to do with it been developed for the Xbox also - no complicated key commands here!

The Graphics, the animation, they seem a backwards step from WoW - a massive step. Considering WoW is nearly 5 years old I was quite astonished by that. FYI, My system is pretty decent - I have the graphics detail up quite high.

I appreciate that the developers do not have the buckets of cash like Blizz have but you would have thought that to give the game a chance to survive they would take some of the good points from WoW to encourage people to play this.

To that end, I have cancelled my order from Play - no point on wasting my money on something I will probably never play but at least I know now.

I genuinely believe that CO will go the same way of CoH. People are only interested in it at the moment as they are bored with WoW - If/when the new content for WoW has been released people will be back.

The only other MMO that has come close to what I want from an MMO is Conan - seriously tempted to pick that up come the end of the summer months.

I can only hope that SWTOR will be good, if not then its back to single player games for me!

Well, I expect to be told otherwise, and that CO is a great game and that I should stick with it.....

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Buy Steal one of your GF's shiny machines then.
Dishes can wait. Or she can do them while she's waiting for you to finish with her comp.

She said I could use her desktop, not her laptop.
Maybe it's time I say she can use the hallway, not the livingroom. ;)

I'll give it a go later on.

Take away her key to the front door and give her a key to the garage instead. She might then see the comparisson  ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
That thing about similar start to CoH struck me too - and I barely touched CoH back in the day.  

Still not sure if my pre-order will stay in place or not. But as an alternative to both lotro/War (which is where I get my dwarf kicks) and to the politics of eve it may work for me.

PS - come play eve, you know you want too :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
Chaps, as someone who levelled a toon in CoH to level 44, trust me, this game is nothing like CoH. I'm staggered that you think so.

The only similarity between the tut for this and CoH is the fact that theres coppers in it. Thats it. I'm honestly astounded.

As for the graphics, I find them far superior to WoW's. Maybe its a personal preferance issue?

As I said before, it is standard MMO fare to a degree. If you find yourself suffering from MMO burnout, then you probably will find it boring.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Same here with the instanced servers - its a bit like Guild Wars for me, I liked guild wars and the story is great but it doesn't feel like world.  I've been playing with an xbox controller and I think its great fun for that.  My only question now is: would a lifetime sub apply to the xbox version of the game when its released?I think this game would be perfect for kicking back on the sofa and plugging into the 40" plasma for some kickarse superhero (wii would have been better but meh).

Not sure about the subscriptions tbh. I think they've pushed the 360 version back to focus on the PC release. I have no experience on multi-platform MMO's, so couldn't tell you. I think the current thinking is seperate servers for the console players, though I'm not sure how viable that would be.

I see no reason why you couldn't use the same sub, but its way to early to tell.

You know, it would work well on a console I think - and as jeremiah says would look epic on a MASSIVE tele :)

Offline Thuggy

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »

You know, it would work well on a console I think - and as jeremiah says would look epic on a MASSIVE tele :)

I agree Jon, Console, big TV, a comfy sofa and it's not a bad game. It has the level of depth of most console games out there these days. Pick up an play for an hour or two and thats it. The game does not engage you. It's just that, on a PC, I expect more.

There have only been a handful of games that have made it on a Console and PC to very good effect - Mass Effect, KOTOR series and Fallout - all have an incredible story line and loads of depth.

On that note, based on Mass Effect and KOTOR - those games are giving me confidence in Biowares ability to do a cracking MMO.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
Take away her key to the front door and give her a key to the garage instead. She might then see the comparisson  ;D

No garage I'm afraid (apartment)... we do have a storage room in the basement. :D

Is it still possible to cancel from Play?

[update] Seems to work!
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
Euros like sticking people in basements, maybe you can carry on this fine tradition?

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
Bleh... I cancelled my Play order and wanted to mess about with the toon creator until the end of open beta. The creator fries my laptop. 

I shall vanish into the misty mist of mystical mistness. And return. One day. Atop a shiny gaming machine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:06:42 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 07:40:07 AM »
I shall vanish into the misty mist of mystical mistness. And return. One day. Atop a shiny gaming machine.

That transforms into a goat.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »

That transforms into a goat.

And craps on your g/friends laptop when she isnt looking  ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
I lolled.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
Well folks. Ive cancelled my purchase with Play.com.
The game has some fine points but its just missing something to hold my long term interests. I may get it for the 360 when they bring that version out as our household 360 is connected to the 36" HD flat screen and surround sound system in the lounge and i think this game will rock on that but for the PC. naaa. Guess ill keep looking for something that runs in between CO and EvE.
CO  = missing something
EvE = Love the game but don't have sufficient time to dedicate to it to make play worth while.  :-[

Good luck all those taking it on... Lets keep the info on other new coming comming  ;)