Author Topic: Civ V  (Read 19380 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Civ V
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
10 days.

Doesnt unlock till the 24th - the EU release date for us.  Yanks get it on the 21st on steam and stores.

NOOOOOOO when i hit that preload button it said 21st for me COOOOCKKKSSS!!!!
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
10 days.

Doesnt unlock till the 24th - the EU release date for us.  Yanks get it on the 21st on steam and stores.

NOOOOOOO when i hit that preload button it said 21st for me COOOOCKKKSSS!!!!

Deffo 24th... :(

Checked amazon, game etc etc - steam is needed for box versions too and they all say the 24th now...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
3days 10 hours what can i do until then?
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
Read PCGamers review over and over again:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/20/civilisation-v-review/

or

Demo will be released worldwide tomorrow at 10am EDT: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87277 
(so like 2pmish)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:44:12 PM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
lol:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75403

All these people from small time not ever done anything to affect world history in a major longlasting way countries crying over not being in a game.  I can understand spain, incas and similar tears given their place in history, but the rest...

Love the internet some days, its like daily mail readers found out how to forum post.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
lol:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75403

All these people from small time not ever done anything to affect world history in a major longlasting way countries crying over not being in a game.  I can understand spain, incas and similar tears given their place in history, but the rest...

Love the internet some days, its like daily mail readers found out how to forum post.
Ppl make the mistake of looking at it historically. If you'd do that, you could include a lot of civs because they were significant at some time (Spain, Portugal, Poland, Holland, Scandinavian-countries/Vikings, Austria, etc from a European point of view and a lot of other "if-...-then-why-not-...-s"". You should just look at it from a marketing standpoint and it all makes sense.
I mean... US from a (pre-)historical standpoint? Euh...  ::)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »
I downloaded the demo, don't think I've ever (really) played any of the CIV games. A tutorial would have been handy! Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on and how to produce stuff. Units don't respond very well, but maybe I have some graphics lag and need to tone it down a bit.

It seems entertaining... but I was playing it on beginner where it's all hippy love and no one is attacking eachother. Need to try a new game now I actually seem to remotely grasp the controls and understand the basics! :D

I guess it's a fun game to play while masturbating. Not many of those available.  8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:02:51 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »
The more Civ you play the more time you will lose, its a game that can and does suck entire weekends away.

Anyways, Garry if you really cant wait:

Quote from: Jarnis
By the way, depending on how desperate you are to play (I was pretty desperate), euros with preloads can play this.

Ensure you have Civ V fully downloaded. Then get a VPN to US.

The game magically unlocks as soon as Steam sees you coming from US IP. So with a bit of VPN magic, I've been happily playing from Finland.

I used https://anonymitynetwork.com/ because they offer free 3hr trial - it let me test that, yes, it works in practice. Grabbed trial account, set up OpenVPN to their NY server, started up steam and - boom - decrypting Civilization V.

However, even once decrypted you have to keep VPN up to play - if you close it down and start Steam from non-US IP, the game again refuses to start. I guess in theory you could start it up with the VPN, then set Steam to offline mode and close the VPN and then just not let Steam to reconnect while playing Civ V in offline mode. No Achievements, but I don't know if that's a big deal - you can do them after Friday.

If you want to play with achievements, you need the VPN for more than 3 hours. This service asks for $12 a month so there may be cheaper/better alternatives elsewhere. On Windows 7 it is very easy to set it up and the only limitation is that you don't want to run any heavy downloads while you play as VPNs generally have traffic caps (and all traffic goes through it when it is up).

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
it took them a day to supply a password to access their VPNs

but at least im now playing civ V

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »
So what's the aim of the game? How do you 'win'? Is there anything to win? Or is it like Settlers where the goal is to run an economy as efficiently as possible?

And how the poop do I get incense? Apparently my people yearn for it. Supposedly obtained from plains and deserts, but I bought a desert tile and didn't get any new options.

Almost played 100 turns on the demo. I guess I need to take it off beginner mode or something at some point to get some war action going. Right now I can just befriend everyone and proceed to rape their capitals after I've encircled them with horsemen.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
So what's the aim of the game? How do you 'win'? Is there anything to win? Or is it like Settlers where the goal is to run an economy as efficiently as possible?

And how the poop do I get incense? Apparently my people yearn for it. Supposedly obtained from plains and deserts, but I bought a desert tile and didn't get any new options.

Almost played 100 turns on the demo. I guess I need to take it off beginner mode or something at some point to get some war action going. Right now I can just befriend everyone and proceed to rape their capitals after I've encircled them with horsemen.

You "win" through destroying opponents, dominating them culturally or being the first to build a space ship and launch for Alpha Centauri.

A tile with incense will have its icon on it, to see icons toggle using scroll beside mini-map. You need it in your cultural borders for it to be part of your trade network.

Like all Civ games settler and chieftain levels are easy as, set higher and the AI gets a lot more aggressive and harder to beat.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Work is over.

Time to play.

Bye Bye Weekend, Sanity, and Sleep.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »
Work is over.

Time to play.

Bye Bye Weekend, Sanity, and Sleep.

honestly combat is soo much more tactical with 1 unit per hex and ranged ;)

Social policy choices have nice effects