Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 16741 times)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
First impressions
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
So let's have it. For all those sceptics... or those of us who are stuck in a train for two hours.

What do you think. Is Elv right? Is it craptastic? Or will this entertain you for a good while? And is the 150 euro lifetime sub worth it?

Entertain meh!
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
Cons:

Biggest for me so far: Instanced server nonsense, which is annoying me, the thought is always at the back of my mind. I suppose EVE has spoiled me with 1 cluster, one world, and all thats associated with it, and I know theres probably a slight element of tech limitations (although the most of those will be playerside rather than server as the dbase for this game will be tiny compared to EVE);

Im levelling too fast.  Its a gripe I have in any level based game these days, its either a sign of lazy devs and/or accountants ensuringt he NOW NOW NOW demographic with daddies CC is pandered too, or I just do stuff on automatic and barely notice. I mean Olympus got to 9 in a couple of hours (that i spent alot of time in another window reading forums) this morning and Im like 6 after an hour on Noctis...

People with "<random verb/noun> man" in their names;

Pro's:

Makes a change from fantasy (dwarves elves etc);

Has PQs - I loved these in WAR;

No real cookie cutter builds keeps the anti-minmaxer in me happy;

The above is all from a few hours today. Im not really going to give it much more time until pre-release really, as I dont want to ruin it too soon, although saying that they do need to SLOOOOOOOW down levelling MASSIVELY. (or cut my hands off).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:35:14 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
I know I don't have a right to speak since I only played it for a tiny bit, so my opinions are superficial and ungrounded. Just consider the below "entertaining Goatie"

Gripes:
To me it looked like a kinda generic MMO. No 2 seperate teams means PvP will be marginal, except for the battlegrounds/arena kinda crap. The quests didn't impress me, many "collect 15 squirrel pelts" things.
Travel powers become already available at 6th level, after the tutorial level, meaning it's VERY easy to bypass content. Mobs seem rather easyish, and I heard (haven't played it) that instances can largely be soloed, meaning grouping is largely inconsequential.

Pros: Character creation is very nice and the endless customisation is very entertaining to me. The game has a unique look with the cellshading. Creating exactly the character you'd like to be is more easy than in any other MMO I played so far.
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »
I have to agree with alot of what has already been said.  Instanced servers... yuk!
Ease of leveling...double yuk!  (to clarify this ive played a total of about 8 hrs so far and I currently have 5 characters. 2 of lvl 11 and the rest at lvl 9 which cannot be right. far far to easy)

PQ's -  nice
Infinate character customisation - very nice.
No (from what i can find so far) out and out cookie cutter spec. Though having said that i made a might character and had that up to lvl 9 in less than 80 minutes without dieing even once. All close range stuff but he kicked ass.

untried as yet.  Group play of any description. PvP
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
I know I don't have a right to speak since I only played it for a tiny bit, so my opinions are superficial and ungrounded. Just consider the below "entertaining Goatie"

Gripes:
To me it looked like a kinda generic MMO. No 2 seperate teams means PvP will be marginal, except for the battlegrounds/arena kinda crap. The quests didn't impress me, many "collect 15 squirrel pelts" things.
Travel powers become already available at 6th level, after the tutorial level, meaning it's VERY easy to bypass content. Mobs seem rather easyish, and I heard (haven't played it) that instances can largely be soloed, meaning grouping is largely inconsequential.

Pros: Character creation is very nice and the endless customisation is very entertaining to me. The game has a unique look with the cellshading. Creating exactly the character you'd like to be is more easy than in any other MMO I played so far.

Yes quests are generic i agree, the fun from them is in the writing i usually dont read them but they are really good, Canada missions based on "lost", Millenium City missions in China Town inspired by Big Trouble in Little China etc.

PVP is actually fun, you get off the bat HERO GAMES ,arenas, at 21 you open BASH 1v1, at 31 you open the stronghold scenario 1 team is trying to escape prison the other trying to stop them (plus they have said more is coming)

If you bypass content how will you level? complete your perks? see the loveliness?  if you miss something the crime computer can point you to the person who wants help, no wondering where is the next quest available.

Mobs have been buffed up they were easy to test em, super villains are very difficult solo unless you use the game mechaniscs i.e. blocking etc.

1 instance is solo, Desert Prison at 30 (its meant to be) others are 5 man. Id like to see anyone solo Dr Destroyers lab (Lvl 28 5 man) even at 40 solo, and my experience was before they made mobs hurt more.

it certainly isnt perfect but no MMO is, what it is is fun, fast paced SUPER HERO action. they have the look and feel about right and they improve it, the game is still buggy but thats why its still in beta, hope theyre working hard lol.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »
levelling slows down after about 15 btw for those who say its fast, my guess is they want you to be super man not just Goodman ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
Good reading, thanks. :)

I'll be home in 15 mins after a three hour trip. My plan is to reinstall the client, meanwhile shower (it's damn hot in Dutchie town), and then give it a go. I hope it works this time.
Gf is out of the house and entertaining herself 3 nights in a row (record), so it seems something is smiling at me from somewhere.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:36:59 PM »
levelling slows down after about 15 btw for those who say its fast, my guess is they want you to be super man not just Goodman ;)

Thats good to know about thanks matey.  Had me worried for a while, even though I know low levels are fast across most games, I just hadnt expected this fast :)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I have to say (warning: rabid fanboi mode engaged), I don't agree with many of the cons stated.

Instance servers bugged me, but I hardly notice them now. A feature where your automatically loaded into the same instance as your friends/SG members would be nice. However, I love the fact that we're all in one pot, so to speak, and have had a great few conversations with a chap from Japan yesterday, which otherswise wouldn't happen in the regular server divide.

Again, level slows right down beyond 15. Also, I think a lot of the perceived speed is down to not actually noticing the XP go up because of it being quite a blast on the way. Thats my take on it anyway.

If you've tried closed beta, and not for very long, try it again in open. I feel theres been tons of improvement since then. And Gunnar, I haven't seen a Squirrel for miles :P

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
After finally being prompted to activate my open beta key, it worked.

My first impression is that the game is completely unplayable on my machine on lowest graphic settings.
Giving it a whirl at a lower resolution.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:02:10 PM by Goatboy »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
Switch off the silly black outlining if you havent already too.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »
Impossible to play even at 1024x*.

Oh well... I have awesome dishwashing skills to level up anyway.

Enjoy. :(

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
Buy Steal one of your GF's shiny machines then.
Dishes can wait. Or she can do them while she's waiting for you to finish with her comp.
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
Same here with the instanced servers - its a bit like Guild Wars for me, I liked guild wars and the story is great but it doesn't feel like world.  I've been playing with an xbox controller and I think its great fun for that.  My only question now is: would a lifetime sub apply to the xbox version of the game when its released?I think this game would be perfect for kicking back on the sofa and plugging into the 40" plasma for some kickarse superhero (wii would have been better but meh).

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
Buy Steal one of your GF's shiny machines then.
Dishes can wait. Or she can do them while she's waiting for you to finish with her comp.

She said I could use her desktop, not her laptop.
Maybe it's time I say she can use the hallway, not the livingroom. ;)

I'll give it a go later on.